Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hot+Rain+Sun = Fast growing seedlings

I can't believe how fast everything in the SFG box is growing!
Those sweet corn plants - especially those that get the most sun - have doubled in size in 10 days.
The gem squash is starting to go on walk-abouts and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about them.
The basil started bursting into flower but I've nipped them all off in the bud and new shoots have sprouted all over the bush. 
The packet of mixed herbs I sowed in a trough of Mel's Mix has exploded and all the little plants are crammed together.  The packet didn't specify what herb seeds were in the packet but I can make out coriander, fennel, dill, thyme and a couple of mystery plants coming up!
Something has been eating my tomatoes.  They crawl in from the bottom and the fruit turns black.  I'm picking the spoiled ones off and leaving them close by on the ground - hoping that the little pests will enjoy the free buffet instead of grazing on the plants.
The Peppadew bush is pregnant with minature green bell peppers.  Some have a red blush on them and when they turn deep red, I'll start bottling them.
On the other side of the garden patch, the cucumber plants have also got flowers.   I've erected a makeshift climbing trellis using an old wrought-iron
arch and nylon string. 
All the little seedlings in the seed trays are bursting out and I don't know where I'm going to plant them.  Methinks I'm going to have to start another SFG box.  We've got some old facia boards that I can use and I've asked Finn if he can make them for me next week. 
I think he's getting worried that I might want to erect SFG boxes all over his lawn!
Happy gardening!



No comments:

Post a Comment