Friday, January 21, 2011

Battling an army of baby caterpillars!


I had to help babysit my little grand-daughter this week and although my dear husband did his best to water and tend to my veg patch, an army of little green caterpillars hatched and have almost devoured all the plants! 
The cabbages have gosamar, skeletonised leaves and when I examined them today I could see clusters of bright green, tiny worms chomping away on whatever is left.  There were some on the brinjal plants, a few of the corn leaves  looked a bit ragged and there were even a few on
the cucumber vines.  I've got two hairy baby cucmbers clinging to life on the vines.
The lettuces have been totally wiped out so I'll start from scratch once I've managed to wage war on this army. I didn't want to bring out the Agent Orange but if I don't do something, there'll be nothing left to harvest. So - I bought a bottle of Margaret Roberts biological caterpillar insecticide for the control of leaf-eating caterpillar larvae on various edible crops, ornamentals, roses, bulbs and lawns.
Finn measured out 5ml into our 5lt spray bottle, pumped it up and sprayed the whole vegetable garden with it.  An hour later I went back to have a look at the results, fearful of finding a killing field, and there were a few determined, stubborn green wrigglys still clinging to the undersides of the cabbage leaves!  I then took over the spray bottle and gave the cabbages another going over with the spray.
I've had a nice crop of bite size tomatoes and the peppadew bush is groaning under the weight of the fruit (vegetables?).  This website says that it is a fruit and that "Peppers are a fruit—a fruit is defined as a vegetable that holds its seeds internally (avocados and cucumbers are fruits too, as are all of the chili peppers)." The Peppadew is being "touted as “the first truly new fruit to be launched on the world market since the kiwi 26 years ago."
Well, let's hope Margaret Roberts will help me to wage biological warfare on the pesky larvae and that I can soon get working on my 2nd square foot garden box.
PS:  Only the Basil seeds grew in the 'Herb-in-a-can' gardens on my window sill.  The Oregano and Thyme didn't sprout at all so I might gro something else in them.  The Reel-garden beans, beetroot and corn have all grown but the carrots never really got going.  I think I'll stick to the square foot gardens in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment